Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I've Been Converted!

I know that just a couple posts ago, I implied that the "Nielsen Families" who decide which television shows the American public is "watching" do not really exist. And that if they do, they must either be evil androids or evil clones. I mean, who knows a Nielsen family? And look at the drivel these "people" are watching...

Well, I have to be an adult and admit that I was wrong.

I just received a postcard in the mail from Nielsen Media Research that reads:

"It is our pleasure to tell you that your household has been chosen to be a 'Nielsen Family'...for a one week TV survey!"...And it goes on to tell me that they will telephone me soon, which they did (but my roommate told them truthfully that we do not watch television). I was a little irked at him for ruining my chances of skewing their survey.

So...I must grudgingly admit that I now believe in Nielsen families.


...But does anyone else think their timing is a little suspicious? I mean, I accuse them of being a shady organization that manipulates what we continue to see on TV, and suddenly I get a postcard from them, inviting me to be part of a survey... Hmmmmm....

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Disgustipated said...

HAHAHA! I got picked for Nielsen family one year. Have fun filling out the book! It ended up being a pain in the buttocks!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

That's funny. I work for Nielsen, but in the Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) department, not Nielsen Entertainment. We're real people too!

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI-In your "complete" profile:
-------------------------------
Quoting the words of others carries a big responsibility. Misquoting misrepresents the ideas of others. Here's a classic example of a misquote:

John Adams has often been quoted as having said: "This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in it."

John Adams did, in fact, write the above words. But if you see those words in context, the meaning changes entirely. Here's the rest of the quotation:

Twenty times, in the course of my late reading, have I been on the point of breaking out, 'this would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it!!!!' But in this exclamation, I should have been as fanatical as Bryant or Cleverly. Without religion, this world would be something not fit to be mentioned in public company—I mean hell.

As you can see from this example, context matters!

This example is from Paul F. Boller, Jr. and John George, They Never Said It: A Book of Fake Quotes, Misquotes, and Misleading Attributions (Oxford University Press, 1989).
-------------------------------
This information is from:
http://www.unc.edu/depts/wcweb/handouts/quotations.html

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home